[time-nuts] TimeLab and the N cornered hat...?

John Miles john at miles.io
Sun Sep 27 20:06:56 EDT 2015

If you're only loading two files, that's definitely not going to work since a 3-cornered hat requires 3 plots.  In your example, there must be a third plot representing A-C, so that each of the three sources will contribute to two different plots.

Apart from that, check for mismatched file parameters.  The way it's currently set up, all of the following conditions have to be met before Trace->Show separated variances (Ctrl-h) will work:

- A deviation measurement must be selected (ADEV, MDEV, TDEV, HDEV)
- Overlay mode must be enabled with Display->Overlay (o)
- At least three plots must be loaded
- All participating plots need to have visibility turned on (Display->Toggle visibility (v))
- All participating plots must have valid Source A and Source B labels
- The source labels must be spelled consistently between all of the participating plots
- All participating plots need to have trace history set to 1 (Edit->Trace properties (e)->Trace History)
- All participating plots need to have been acquired with the same xDEV bin density
- All participating plots need to have exactly the same sample interval (tau zero)

The last condition is especially easy to miss if your plots came from a counter with "Use incoming data to configure measurement" checked.  It may have measured the sampling interval a bit differently in one or more of the plots.

If you've already checked these points and it still isn't rendering the hat traces, zip up the .tim files and send them to john (at) miles.io, and I'll have a look.

-- john, KE5FX
Miles Design LLC