[time-nuts] HP 58501A reference clocks

Steve D kls at ve7fm.com
Sun Apr 10 00:57:21 EDT 2016

This is a followup on the 58501A. I have the unit working now. The location
was fixed in the units EEPROM to coordinates 37.3586547°, -079.1746364°.
Zooming into those coordinates with google earth gives you a pretty good
idea of where its antenna was mounted in the 90's. Using Tac32 I was able
to see that it would program the GPS receiver with that position at power
on and then put it into position hold mode. The solution was to simply
remove the EEPROM altogether. It had some other data in it but the unit
appears to work great without it installed. If any data in the EEPROM is
altered it ignores the whole thing so it is checksum protected. The alarm
LED never comes on that I can tell but the GPS lock LED works just fine. I
have ordered a slightly more modern/sensitive GPS receiver for the unit as
the one it has now is pretty terrible. The current GPS is old enough it
uses true RS232 for communication. The 58501A has jumpers to select between
RS232 and TTL for the GPS data though so it should be an easy to swap to
something newer. I am testing its hold over performance which looks to be
excellent thanks to the OCXO installed.
I have many uses for the 10 MHz out and may have a use for the 19.2 MHz out
but have no idea what I can use the 9.6 kHz or 100 Hz outputs for. There is
also 1 PPS on the DB25 connector. No further useful SCPI commands have been
found.

I still think it is pretty cool to have a one off prototype from HP(that
also works!).

Steve VE7FM