[time-nuts] Where does the source time for GPS come from?

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 18:16:45 EDT 2016

Dear Sean,

The USNO is the main source of precise time in the US via the GPS system.
It has an ensemble of caesium clocks and hydrogen masers in Washington that
it uses as the reference to provide corrections for the clocks that are
onboard each of the GPS satellites. These corrections are broadcast
continuously via the GPS system.

What your boss is referring to is Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), the
international time standard. National labs which operate atomic clocks
compare their clocks using a variety of methods and send these to the BIPM,
which makes a weighted average of the all of the participating clocks (for
stability) and combines the ten or so primary frequency standard
evaluations (for accuracy) to finally get its best estimate of what one
second is. Each participating lab is then told what the difference between
its clock and UTC is.

USNO participates in UTC and keeps within tens of ns of UTC.

You can find the monthly reports in Circular T.

NIST also maintains an ensemble of atomic clocks and contributes to UTC.
However, in addition to commercial caesium beam standards and hydrogen
masers, they have several primary frequency standards, in particular,
caesium fountains.

Regards
Michael