[time-nuts] RG6 or LMR400 for GPS Antenna (Symmetricom 58532A and T-bolt)

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 21 15:37:26 EDT 2016

On 4/21/16 10:07 AM, Ryan Stasel wrote:
> All,
>
> Really awesome answers, thanks!
>
> For the sealing question, it was more of a “should I bother with
> something like anti-seize” or the like on the actual thread-thread N
> interface. The actual connector crimp, was planning on just using a
> couple layers of the heat-shrink with adhesive. That is all going to
> be internal to the mast anyway, so direct weather contact should be
> minimal. It’s also on the side of my chimney, that gets very little
> to no direct sun, so UV exposure should be minimal. But good note on
> that regard.

even without direct sunlight, there is substantial UV exposure in some
areas:  it reflects off the building and ground surfaces, and there's
scattered UV from the sky and clouds.

I've got UV affected paper and plastic on the north side of my house
where the sun never shines, but which is still exposed to the sky and
which sees reflected UV from my neighbor's house.

Finding good numbers with google is tricky, but levels like 25% to 50%
of sunlight levels are cited in a number of places.  Partly it's a
"duration of exposure" thing: you get exposed as long as the sun is
above the horizon, so while the intensity might be lower, the duration
is longer.

And, of course, where you live makes a difference: in some places, the
smog probably attenuates the UV a lot, so while UV degradation is
minimized, now you have to worry about ozone.