[time-nuts] woodpecker sounds

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 22 08:41:25 EDT 2016

Cornell has recordings of thousands of bird sounds..

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Pileated_Woodpecker/sounds

and then, the frequency of woodpecker "drumming" has been the subject of
some study

https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/condor/v100n02/p0350-p0356.pdf

reports, for instance, that Pileated woodpeckers drum at 14.2 Hz
(+/-0.4Hz) in a burst of 1.7 seconds (+/- 0.3)

although the analysis not by time-nuts, since their statistical analysis
of drumming rates is not of the kind with which *we* are familiar. This
is no surprise: over the past 3 years, I've been looking at literature
on heart rates, and out of hundreds of papers, I think only a few
mentioned the power spectrum in terms of an oscillator model of any
kind.  For many years, physiologists eschewed the use of mathematical
models.

Anyway, the paper above was trying to see if they could separate species
based on the oscillator characteristics.  A ton of hand waving at the
end about why different species might drum at different rates in
different places  in different places.

A new avenue of investigation for time-nuts to pursue.  Who knows, maybe
you could develop the first GPSDWO (GPS disciplined Woodpecker Oscillator)