[time-nuts] Western Electric O-451A/U double-oven XO

Eric Scace eric at scace.org
Sun Apr 24 19:33:41 EDT 2016

Hi —

   I have finally retrieved from my parents’ home my original time & frequency standards lab, to which will be added my more recent HP Z3805A. The assembly contains:
HP-113BR frequency divider/clock
homebrew WWVB receiver & frequency comparator, with its own internal OCXO standard, that my father and I built in 1979 to maintain calibration and otherwise measure the performance of its internal OCXO standard and of the following…
Western Electric O-451A/U double-oven frequency standard. As you will see from the photos, this unit was made for the US Coast Guard. The double-oven is on shock mounts and the power supply contains a dynamotor — signs of shipboard use, although I suspect it was part of a coastal radio station. We bypassed the dynamotor supply and installed a more modern supply.

   Unfortunately I never had any documentation for the O-451A/U unit. I wonder if anyone else has experience with this oscillator, or has any documentation. Since it hasn’t been operating in the last 30 years, I’d like to replace the electrolytic capacitors — but this would be much easier with documentation.

   A quick Internet search did not yield a reference manual. Given that this unit is serial number 11, I supposed I should not be too surprised.

   Any suggestions for finding reference manuals for the O-451A/U?

   Thanks.

— Eric