[time-nuts] Some GPS history I came across..

Brent brent.evers at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 12:28:30 EDT 2016

I thought these pics of an old Magnavox Y receiver faceplate might interest
some.  Note that it is serial number 2, which makes it the 21st GPS
receiver built if there were only 19 x-sets built (according to the inst.
of navigation page on the x-sets, and my extrapolated assumption).

The back story on this and why its only a face plate.  It belonged to a
buddy of mine who recently passed away and spent most of his career working
polar regions in ice camps, supporting science that often focused on under
ice acoustic propagation.

Early in his career, the camps located their position celestially via
theodolite, but at some point they were given this unit to use (and test in
polar regions?  I'm not sure).  My understanding is that when the ice camp
was done with it, it was to be decommissioned.  My friend asked if he could
keep it, but was not allowed to, due to its still-classified status.  He
was, however, allowed to dismantle it and keep the face plate.

Brent

[image: Inline image 1]

[image: Inline image 2]