[time-nuts] Advise on building a DIY GPSDO?

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Thu Apr 28 02:00:19 EDT 2016

I wrote:

>And here are links to the best PLL design texts I'm aware of:
>
>      Gardner:  <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0471430633>
>      Best:  <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0071493751>
>      Egan 1:  <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470118008>
>      Egan 2:  <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470915668>
>      Stephens:  <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0792376021>
>      Wolaver:  <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0136627439/>

I should have added that the Gardner book is absolutely essential for
anyone designing PLLs, IMO.

Best is excellent.  Chapter 9 is specifically devoted to higher-order
loops (through 5th order).

Stephens covers DPLLs from a different angle than Gardner.

Egan marches to his own drum, so the way the subject is divided, the
topics covered, and some of the notation does not necessarily match
other texts.  These can be the hardest to follow, but Egan is very thorough.

Wolaver's book covers PLL basics comprehensively and is both a great
introductory text as well as an excellent review text to jog the
memory of an experienced PLL designer.

Different people learn differently, so a book that is ideal for one
person is not necessarily the best for another person.  Some
graduate-level students find Best, Stephens, and both Egan books hard
to follow, while others find them very helpful.  I've never heard
anyone complain about Gardner or Wolaver, except to the extent that
they don't cover a topic of interest to the student.

Best regards,

Charles