[time-nuts] Have I wrecked my FE-5680A?

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Thu Apr 28 19:49:11 EDT 2016

Just as I started testing the GPS discipline board prototype, my FE-5680A seems to have developed a very odd problem.

If I give it power, it outputs a “kinda” 10 MHz sine wave while it sweeps around looking for a physics lock. This is as expected.

About the time that I would expect the lock light to turn on, instead the output just stops. The lock light never comes on.

This unit’s been working fine for months now. It’s conceivable that I’ve sent it some sort of serial command it couldn’t digest, but using the Windows calibrator software seems to work - albeit there not being any output from the oscillator at all.