[time-nuts] Optical transfer of time and frequency

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Apr 29 08:34:20 EDT 2016

Not so, the common time base doesnt ,in this case , have to have hydrogen maser or better stability as long as the realisations of this timebase at each telescope track sufficiently closely within 100 ps or so is adequate for a 1ns arrival time stamp quantisation.

Just as one can measure the PN contribution of an RF amplifier that is 30dB or so below the PN of the test source, one can achieve a relative ADEV between the telescope timebase realisation and the master timebase that is better than the absolute ADEV of either.
Bruce