[time-nuts] GPS antenna selection

cfo xnews5 at luna.dyndns.dk
Fri Aug 5 02:36:17 EDT 2016

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 23:29:06 +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> Dear fellow time-nuts!
> I'm currently investigating my options regarding GPS antennae (of course
> for time related purposes)
> and I'm really confused by the variety they come in ... (my apologies in
> advance for the long post).
> Setting:
> I'm living in a three storey house with a sloped roof, a covered balcony
> and a larger garden with huge trees on the Austrian countryside
> (Europe).

I'm using this type (26dB, N Connector) on my balcony (South).
It's mounted on a 1m waterpipe, that is "stripped" to the balcony fence.

I initially bought a 40dB , but had to change to 26dB , due to too much

I use a Tbolt, that have 75ohm impedance , and am using about 25m quad
shielded 75 ohm , quality sattelite cable from the balcony to the Tbolt.

I'm using a N-->F adapter at the antenna end, that makes it super easy to
make a diy F-->F connector cable.

I now have installed a quad active antenna splitter (50ohm) , using the
same 75ohm cable , and a F-->N adapter at the splitter end. And see no
noticable problems using 75ohm cable there.