[time-nuts] Oscillator Phase Noise: A 50-Year Review

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Aug 6 00:18:07 EDT 2016

On 8/5/2016 12:47 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:
> Here's a new article, on IEEE's site (and this one's free):
> "Oscillator Phase Noise: A 50-Year Review", by David B. Leeson
> http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=7464875

It has always irked me that no credit was given to Edson's
pioneering 1953 book "Vacuum tube oscillators" in Leeson's papers
and I see that the omission continues in the latest paper.  You can see
from the following reference that Edson was the true pioneer in this

He actually had the basic idea in 1934.  He is the proverbial
"unsung hero".