[time-nuts] Heathkit clock available

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 19:01:55 EDT 2016

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 16:55:39 -0400, you wrote:

>On 8/10/2016 11:31 AM, Nick Sayer via time-nuts wrote:
>> Frankly, I don’t know why they didn’t make it a GPS clock. That would truly be a worthy successor to the GC-1000. Well, I do suspect I know why
 and it’s not flattering. :)

>As I recall ( At 70 my memory is not quite as accurate as it used to be)
>by the time GPS was a main stream reality Heath was well on it's way to
>getting out of the KIT business and was more focused on the educational
>market

That is how I remember it.  The first consumer level handheld GPS
receivers I ran across were the single channel Magellan units after
1989 and Heathkit was all but dead by then although they did not
officially stop producing kits until 1992.  The Heathkit outlet store
was not far from where I lived then and I tracked the progress of
Heathkit by observing its condition.

Given the cost of the GPS receivers, I can see why a GPS clock did not
become available for some time after that when increasing integration
allowed inexpensive GPS receivers.