[time-nuts] State of the art of crystal oscillator measurements

KA2WEU at aol.com KA2WEU at aol.com
Thu Aug 11 07:03:03 EDT 2016

Good morning,

the difference between the two phase noise FWSP systems is the lower noise
internal 10 MHz reference crystal  oscillator (optimized )  as  well as
also some of the internal FSWP circuits custom  optimized . The  output power
was 17 dBm, but we also have build one oscillator with  12 dBm  output power
and noise  similar values.

This is part of a PhD project which I supervise .    For values so close to
the carrier you need a very low noise power supply  and a well shielded
Faraday cage . The measurement with ca 100  correlation  took about 2 hours.
Also the heating circuit needs to be low noise and well  decoupled .

The 100 Hz value of the better analyzer seems suspicious , It needs to be
further  investigated.

All very exciting and time consuming .

Ulrich

In a message dated 8/10/2016 11:02:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,