[time-nuts] GPSDO - probably a stupid question.

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Aug 17 03:32:22 EDT 2016

The stability of the typical GPS receiver oscillator is usually inadequate to be useful as a GPSDO. An OCXO (as in the Trimble Thunderbolt for example) or equivalent is usually required. One can't usually just add a varicap to adjust the frequency of a packaged oscillator. If an external crystal is used the varicap should be placed in series with the crystal. However to do this reliably one needs to know the crystal parameters and those of the oscillator circuit. If you need to adjust the frequency both up and down (due to crystal parmeter tolerances) then an inductor in series with the crystal and varicap will also be required.
Bruce