[time-nuts] Noisy Sulzer 2.5 - Suggestions?

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Thu Aug 18 12:24:41 EDT 2016

On 2016-08-18 10:00 AM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ed,
> Thats quite the challenge and yes the carbon resistors must be about 50
> years old now. So questioning them is reasonable. I have a c so take my
> next comment with caution.
> The oscillator is a small circuit and then it runs to buffers and
> multipliers and stuff.

That's one of the differences between the 2.5 and the 2.5x models. The
2.5 only has 2.5 MHz and lower outputs so no multipliers. Hopefully, the
other circuit blocks are more or less the same.

> Lots of parts of every type. Maybe it makes sense to isolate and measure
> just the oscillator circuit to see how it behaves without all of the other
> stuff. Also there were various regulators in that can.

Yes, noise on the internal voltage regulator would affect everything.  I
might replace all the Ta capacitors 'just because', but beyond that,
divide and conquer makes a lot of sense.

Ed