[time-nuts] Subject: Re: Working with SMT parts (Bob Albert)

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 22:40:16 EDT 2016

I have a Chinese hot air gun with several nozzles.  Mine are the quarter-turn type but that doesn't work too well due to sloppy tolerances.  I have had nozzles fall off in the midst of use.  With some care they can be made to stay on, and if necessary bend them a bit to make them more secure.
I have used my hot air device a lot but only for disassembly.  For assembly, as I mentioned earlier, I would want to use solder paste.  I can't control the hot air well enough to heat just a bit of solder from a spool, and clipping off a piece while trying to put it where it belongs is a poor system.  So the paste seems to be the way to go.
Someone needs to invent a low cost paste that doesn't spoil in a few months.  It does seem that the Mechanics paste might be an answer to this; I would keep it refrigerated although that might be locking the barn door after the theft.
Again, I am not trying to meet some government soldering specification; I just want something to work without a lot of fuss and cost.
What do major companies do when they discover their stuff is outdated?  I need a connection to some of those people, maybe pick up some of it now and then at low cost.

Bob