[time-nuts] Expected 10 MHz offset from a GPSDO?

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Fri Aug 19 15:07:42 EDT 2016

Hi Tim,
If I understand your post correctly, you're using a frequency counter to measure the accuracy of your GPSDO.  Assuming there's nothing wrong with the GPSDO, what you're actually doing is measuring the frequency accuracy of your counters.  Unless you have something that is known to be more accurate than your GPSDO, such as a *calibrated* cesium standard or hydrogen maser, then the GPSDO is the most accurate frequency reference you own.  At this point, other than work on improving your antenna, all you can do is compare your GPSDO to other GPSDOs, or a cesium standard or hydrogen maser, in order to quantify the phase error of your GPSDO.  Frequency error, except down at the milli-Hertz level or smaller, is no longer an issue.

Bob