[time-nuts] negative mention of products (was: DIY VNA design)

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 19:24:11 EDT 2016

A friend some 20 years ago was the risk manager of a large health care
corporation. When confronted with an individual threatening a groundless or
nuisance lawsuit, she would smile sweetly and say, "Go right ahead. I have
more than a hundred lawyers on the payroll. How many do you have?"

Largely threat and intimidation and bluff but how many of us want to take
the chance?

Just be sure that what you write is demonstrably factual and do not write
with the intention to cause harm. Then hunker down and let the suits vent
their spleens. It is almost always the marketing department that does the
threatening, not the legal department.

On Monday, August 22, 2016, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) <
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

> On 22 August 2016 at 23:15, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 16:16:16 +0100
> > "Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd)" <
> drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk <javascript:;>>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > That resulted in the manufacturer of the RigExpert contacting Tom, as
> > they
> > > were unhappy about my comments. (Strangely they never contacted me!) I
> > > received a phone call from Jan, the UK distributor about it. Basically
> > they
> > > did not want to get into a war with other companies like RigExpert. I
> can
> > > see that discussions about VNAs in general could lead to discussions
> > > comparing products.
> >
> > Yes, lots of companies do get very unhappy when they see negative
> > mentiones of their product. Quite a few of them also do not get that
> > a mailinglist/forum/... is not responsible for what their users write.
> > Some even threaten to sue, in case a negative remark is not removed
> > IMEDIATELY!!!1!einself
> >

> Yes. It is interesting to note that one of the reviews by G3GXG on eHam of
> the RigExpert AA-600, which is the product I was referring to, says
>
> "I tried sharing my concerns on the RigExpert site but every time I did, my
> comments were removed. This is clearly a raw subject for them."
>
> Personally, I write what I think is fair, and if that offends them, let
> them try to sue me. But I can understand others not wishing to take the
> same view - especially if in the USA. But unfortunately we have a lot of
> "no win no fee" lawyers here now in the UK. It is a big "industry". I've
> not seen it move to things like technical comments about products, but it
> could well happen.
>
> Dave

If you gaze long enough into the abyss, your coffee will get cold.