[time-nuts] Best Chance GPS module

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 1 11:03:30 EST 2016

You have to read the fine print in the data sheet.  "Up to three"   can mean 1 or 2.  Also if you want SBAS/QZSS corrections,  those can also count as systems.  Most receivers have limits on which systems can be enabled at the same time.  The Ublox is a pain to configure.  You have to manually allocate blocks of receiver channels for each system... it's not just setting a single bit for each system you want to track.

The next version of Lady Heather can configure GNSS modes for Ublox, NVS, Venus, and Trimble devices.

For the M8 receiver you want to install the latest firmware (using Ublox's Ucenter program).  A lot of the modules from China ship with earlier firmware that does not support a lot of features that the newer firmware does (like outputting sawtooth correction messages).

Ublox chips have some one-time programmable fuses that limit installing timing firmware on non-timing modules,  but apparently some modules don't have the fuse set that prevents it.  I have not tried to put timing firmware on a non-timing device, but others report success (at least on an LEA6).  I think the main thing the timing firmware supports is a position hold mode.