[time-nuts] Switching regulator replacement for 7805

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Dec 4 16:41:13 EST 2016

On 12/04/2016 04:34 PM, jimlux wrote:

> Even for time-nuts, I suspect we're not looking to eke out the last
> percent of efficiency from 96% to 97%, or handle wildly varying loads,
> etc.  Nor are we usually looking for absolute minimum parts cost.

The little OCXO I used for testing goes from about 850ma cold to 200ma
hot (at 5V) and I noticed a very different appearance of the spectrum as
the current dropped -- at high current, the switching spurs were quite
narrow, but as the current dropped (and particularly below some
threshold I don't remember) the spurs widened out quite a bit.