[time-nuts] Lady Heather Touch Screen Keyboard (was GALILEO online: any changes seen? (Mark Sims))

Willis willis.hendley at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 14:21:49 EST 2016

Mark Sims wrote:

“BTW,  I'm tweaking up the code for use with touchscreen (that emulate a mouse) displays.  I have an on-screen keyboard working and am now optimizing the display formatting when used on tiny
screens.  I have it working quite well with the official PI touchscreen... a 7" 800x480 display that gives Heather a 798x423 window.  Willis has it working with a 5" Beaglebone display (I think he gets a 797x456 window... lucky bastard...).   Heather was never intended to work with < 480 pixel high screens, but would allow screens down to 400 pixels tall, but not much was ever tested at that level.   Should make building slick little boxes with an integrated a GPSDO and monitor easy... so far I'm rather impressed with the results.”

I can’t agree more – Mark’s release of Lady Heather on linux and upcoming support for small touch screens has enabled some very interesting capabilities for integrated TBOLT monitors. My Beaglebone Black solution (see links below) has been a lot of fun to put together (mostly mechanical hackery around using the repurposed HP instrument case, but some proto boards for interfacing) and provides a very nice solution for which I almost never have to use a keyboard any more – although I do like switching between the touch screen and a wireless mouse depending on whether I’m too lazy to lift my hand up to the touch screen .

I can’t thank Mark (and John) enough for the labor of love that is Lady Heather!

-willis

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/6742/CakaDj.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/4745/gNJsJd.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/9282/ogOXpl.jpg