[time-nuts] Why is holdover LED on HP 58503A not lit, when GPS lock is unlit too?

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 09:31:51 EST 2016

A common misconception, is that holdover is the opposite of GPS lock.
Sometimes we might even talk about the two as if we're in one or the other.
But really the power-on state, is that we're in neither holdover or GPS
lock.

Holdover means the smartclock previously had GPS lock and had used it to
characterize the aging of the OCXO, and is maintaining the EFC
extrapolation, such that it believes it can still produce accurate time and
frequency through the GPS loss.

The state of your clock at the moment, is that it has never had GPS lock
since regaining power, it does not know what time it is, and it has not
characterized or extrapolated the aging of the OCXO. So it is definitely
not in holdover.

Tim N3QE