[time-nuts] 1PPS users?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 19 10:07:06 EST 2016

On 12/19/16 6:28 AM, Chris Caudle wrote:
> On Sun, December 18, 2016 10:20 pm, Bob Stewart wrote:
>> I do understand the reasons that these users want this quality of
>> output. It's who these users are, what fields, industries, etc, that I
>> didn't quite understand.
>
> Magnus wrote a paper recently on effects of the GPS time slip (recent
> error in data upload) on the broadcast industry which uses GPS time to
> synchronize widely separated transmitters so that they can overlap their
> broadcast coverage areas without interference.
>
> I believe the power industry is using GPS provided time to stamp power
> events for analysis as well.

And pretty much any of these will ingest a 1pps + message, rather than,
say, a 10 MHz reference.

Why not just use the raw GPS 1pps (which is typically good to a few tens
of ns)?  GPS coverage/outage and random variation in the GPS 1pps

A lot of them use a disciplined oscillator to generate the 1pps, so the
oscillator is essentially a long term averager/low pass filter on the
raw GPS output -