[time-nuts] Lady Heather Version 5 is now available

Peter Putnam ni6e at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 20 23:58:17 EST 2016

Mark,

Thank you very much for the effort you put into the new Lady Heather
Version 5 code.

Comments from other linux users encouraged me to try my luck with a
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. The code compiled without issue and runs perfectly.

The pre-configured "heather.cfg" file is a nice touch, considering the
many new options. Old options add in easily.

Regarding the Raspberry Pi display...

I started with a large LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1280 x
1024. Using an HDMI to DVI cable, LH5 put out a very nice display using
perhaps 80% of the available screen area.

In order to put an older 1024 x 768 VGA monitor into service, an HDMI to
VGA adapter is required. For those worrying about the ability of the
HDMI output to provide enough current to power the adapter, I can
confirm the IOGear GVC311 HD to VGA adapter draws only 150 mA, well
within the 200 mA rating of the diode protecting the port from reverse
bias. The processor alone draws 300 mA, so the total current at 5 volts
is 450 mA, allowing me to add both to the 5-volt output of the
Thunderbolt's UPS-protected power supply.

The initial result was OK except the graph area at the bottom was only 8
lines high, instead of the 10 lines I expected. In addition, some unused
space appeared below the graph. Efforts to "resize" or change
screen-edge values in the Raspbian config.txt file proved futile.
However, right-clicking on the Panel bar at the top of the screen and
resizing the icons to 28 pixels and the bar itself to 30 pixels did the
trick. Now the graph area is 10 lines high and the screen is fully utilized.

Thanks, again, Mark, for a job well done.

Regards,
Peter