[time-nuts] Using GPSDO as a Refrence for Protable Amateur Radio Microwave Operations

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Dec 21 19:44:40 EST 2016

Hi

The missing element in your evaluation is phase noise. If you directly multiply *any* 10 MHz source up to
10 GHz, you have created a noise monster. The only rational way to do it is with a cleanup oscillator (or two)
somewhere between 10 MHz and 10 GHz. There are a variety of reasons why you get the noise increase and
multiple noise floors involved.

If you pick something like 100 MHz as your (first?) cleanup, a bandwidth in the 10 Hz region is not at all impractical
with a narrowband OCXO as the 100 MHz source. For many decades microwave sources have been built this way.
There are *lots* of designs out there to look at. The power and complexity impact is minimal.

Once you do that,  the only thing that matters on your 10 MHz is it’s long term stability. If you have the power budget,
a Rb is the obvious choice. If not, a DOCXO would be the right way to go. In either case, calibrate them before you
take off on your “adventure”.

Bob