[time-nuts] Aeroflex IFR 3413

Stéphane Rey steph.rey at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 9 16:12:51 EST 2016

Hi Clint,

I do not know this instrument, however let me share my current
experience with my IFR2945.
I've found a faulty board to be part of the main PLL. The failled
component was an old CPLD. I've requested a quotation from both the CPLD
and the full board.
The CPLD was 90 euros with 9 months of leadtime (!) and the full board
460€ with 1 month. I've bought the full board.
The company is actually Cobham Wireless who owns Marconi Aeroflex now.
After 3 months nothing yet received. I had to complain.
I finally got the board after 3.5 months. Put in the instrument and
still not working. New release of the board with FPGA instead of CPLD.
The FPGA outputs are not doing anything. Ask to the support again and it
appears the board has not been programmed/tested... but they don't want
to send me the code for programming (I've the tools at work). I have to
send back my board
After 3 weeks they tell me I should have ordered the slash T version
(which costs 30% more) !!!! Well guys.. you made the quotation for that
board... What could I do with a non programmed board ????
Meanwhile my support guy tells me the facility he works in France... is
going to be closed suddenly. By the way they're all fired.
Cobham Wireless is under restructuration and they're closing some sites.
My board has been lost !
Finally apparently they've sent me a new board, I hope programmed this
time.... and I'm waiting for it...

According to the very nice french support guy I was in contact with, in
IFR2945/2965 there are very few components like that which are
programmable for which this is no option other than Cobham support but
at the moment it looks like an incredible mess there.

Good luck
Cheers
Stephane