[time-nuts] Z3801A Internal A/C Supply ??

Artek Manuals Manuals at ArtekManuals.com
Wed Feb 10 09:10:17 EST 2016

OK if you followed the previous thread on this unit you will remember
that the front half of my supply the reverse polarity and under/ over
voltage switch is bad but the DC-DC converter half of the supply is
good. I initially cut a trace and  rerouted the power input to bypass
the voltage protection circuit and I am feeding the DC-DC section with
one of my LAB supplies (Tektronix PS503A) .

Long term I needed to free up the lab supply for other tasks so I set
about looking for a permanent supply to run the Z3801A. since the 0-60V
supply I was using to feed the Z3801 48V either killed the Z3801 supply
when it died or vice versa.. the 0-60V supply was kind of big and clunky
anyway,

Scrounging around in the junk box I came up with a pair of 19.5V/3amp HP
laptop supplies which were identical I hooked the outputs of these two
in series (39V under load at 500ma) which seemed perfect. I have now
been running the Z3801A off these two for a couple of days now and the
supplies work fine and are hardly warm to the touch.

  So here is my question These two supplies will fit quite nicely inside
the Z3801A case. Making the the Z3801A "plug in the wall" AC compatible
no external supply. Should I be concerned about.....

1) Noise from the supply or the A/C lines now inside the box
2) Heat from the supplies, as I said they are hardly warm to the touch
after running for two day . I could / probably should measure the case
temperatures but I suspect they are less than 35C

Thoughts... suggestions..... opinions

Dave NR1DX

--
Dave