[time-nuts] Calibration procedures - what is normal?

Daniel Watson watsondaniel3 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 22:58:35 EST 2016

Hi,

I had an interesting experience with a local cal lab when I took in my HP
5334B (Option 010). I'd recently purchased the unit and had no idea of its
calibration history. At the time I wasn't quite a time nut, and I didn't
own a reference to check frequency accuracy myself. I was hoping to get the
counter and its timebase calibrated to use as a reference at home. I
checked the service manual and got the impression that this was part of the
procedure. I also told the tech what I was looking for when I dropped it
off. Can you see where this is going?

A few days later I picked up the unit, and the cal certificate listed the
frequency accuracy as perfect to 9 digits with no adjustment needed. That
raised an eyebrow. When I got it home, I immediately noticed the reference
selector had been switched to external. Sure enough, no adjustment to the
OCXO had been made. They used their lab reference externally during the
procedure. I contacted them, they said they followed the listed procedure
for this counter, but nonetheless offered to help. I took the unit back and
they plugged it in for 10 minutes to let it "stabilize", then gave me the
count of their standard on one of the channels written on a sticky note...

Needless to say, that experience motivated me to get more serious about
this stuff and invest in some good references.

Dan