[time-nuts] MTI 260-0624-D OCXO

timenut at metachaos.net timenut at metachaos.net
Fri Feb 19 12:09:49 EST 2016

Alex,

I did not take opening pictures, but there is nothing to miss.

For the outside of the unopened case, there are plenty of pictures on eBay.
For the actual opening process, that consisted largely of scraping away solder
with a small, triangular file and utility knife until most of what I could
remove was gone and then using a hammer and screwdriver to separate the sides
from the bottom and then prying it off. Nothing pretty, and nothing much for
pictures. I used a tiny drill for my desoldering gun to remove an intial hole
in the solder for the adjustment hole. I then enlarged it with a 1/16th drill
bit (by hand). Ideally, a 2mm drill bit could be used. A 5/64th drill bit will
fit through the hole, but it is very tight. Probably not best to drill with
it because that would most likely enlarge the hole.

I wouldn't open it the same way again, but I'm not sure of the best procedure
that leaves the case and contents undamaged so that it can be reassembled. I
think, perhaps, that I would remove all of the solder that I could as before.
But then, I would make some sort of cut-out for the pins on the bottom and put
it in a pan on the stove and heat it up (hopefully, evenly) until the bottom
could be popped off. The outside case can get pretty hot without damage
because the only contact is the pins and the inside gets pretty hot when
running. The main risk is getting so hot that the plastic spacers on the pins
melt or the pin supports melt. I'm not sure how hot that would be. But, they
must have heated it fairly hot to melt the solder originally, so hopefully
that would work.

However, here are some pictures of the inside :) which is probably what you
want!

Top Case 1:    [img]http://imgur.com/mvQkJ16[/img]
Top Case 2:    [img]http://imgur.com/K7Rmeau[/img]
Bottom Case 1: [img]http://imgur.com/j7tC7QN[/img]