[time-nuts] WWVB format change in 2012

Sanjeev Gupta ghane0 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 11:15:27 EST 2016

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 10:57 PM, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> The new WWVB format is troublesome for older gear that looks at carrier
> phase as a source of precision timing. The NTP driver does not do this.
>
> The new WWVB format is fine for any gear that recovers time from the
> AM modulation on the carrier. This is what the NTP driver *does* do.

This is a very clear phrasing, thanks.

My understanding is that existing commercially-available equipment that
recovers time from the AM carrier provides an accuracy on the order of a
milli-second.  Anything better required tracking phase.

So, what would the (NTP with current WWVB equipment) accuracy and jitter be?

I appreciate that we seem to be moving towards a GPS-monoculture, but how
close is the (NTP with WWVB AM) to the 50 microseconds number?

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane