[time-nuts] Inside a CTS 1960017 OCXO

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Sun Feb 28 22:25:42 EST 2016

Pete Lancashire wrote:
> ... I was using an HP lab supply>>>
>
> Model ? Age ?
>
> My bench has some pretty old HP's even Harrison Lab branded supplies.
> have had to re-cap a few of them.
> In a way it is almost a curse how reliable their supplies were. You
> always got the V and I you wanted so one
> never thought about the filtering getting worse over the years.
>
> Also HP had two variations of their bench supplies. The basic ones
> and the low noise versions. When I need
> to make measurement like this, I make sure I'm using one of the low
> noise/ripple models.

Adding my few cents' worth to the power supply ripple/noise thoughts, I've
found that the old linear supplies by Power Designs Inc were among the best,
at considerably lower cost than the HP/Harrison Labs units.
Ripple/Noise in the low millivolts and high microvolts, 0.01 - 0.005%
regulation and temperature stability in the neighborhood of 0.01%/degC were
common.
I have a couple on my bench, and they just keep on working.  They still pop
up at auction frequently.

Cheers,
Dave M