[time-nuts] WWVB format change in 2012

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Feb 29 06:35:38 EST 2016

msa at latt.net said:
> 	What are you trying to do?  Kill the refclocks entirely, or just pare them
> down to essentials?

The idea is to drop the ones that aren't being used and/or we can't test.  If
we dropped one in error, we can recover it.

The audio stuff seems particularly ugly.  I don't know if that's just because
I/we don't understand that area and/or if POSIX didn't get it right and/or if
OSes don't implement POSIX audio.

Are there any good non-GPS options these days?  In this context, "good" is a
bit hard to pin down.  My straw man is either something in production or
something like a TBolt or Z38xx that is available surplus at hobbyist prices.

A reasonable candidate for a low cost WWV receiver would be one of the USB
receiver modules.  I think they are targeted at TV but they cover a wide
input frequency range.  I think the SDR projects are using them.  If anybody
has experience with them in a non-Windows environment please poke me off
list.  A friend gave me one, but I got distracted before I got it working.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.