[time-nuts] Loran Europe Lessay seems to be back on air?

Iain Young iain at g7iii.net
Wed Jan 6 08:23:43 EST 2016

Hi All,

On 05/01/16 20:03, paul swed wrote:
> The norm right now is 1 year. Enjoy while you can.
>
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 1:50 PM, GandalfG8--- via time-nuts <
> time-nuts at febo.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, they've been switching back and forth between one or two channels  all
>> day, with the one channel state always being just the usual Anthorn Y
>> channel and the two channels always being Master plus the Y  channel.
>> Sometimes the overall signal levels have been fluctuating quite a bit  at
>> 100 Miles from Anthorn, more so than usual, and when in the  two channel
>> state both channels have always been at the same signal  level, although
>> on a
>> few occasions the signal has shut down  altogether for several minutes at a
>> time.
>>
>> As it's now nearly 1850, and still transmitting Master and slave  rather
>> than reverting to just the slave as it did at the end of the day
>> yesterday,
>> I'm even more encouraged to hope this might become the norm for some  time
>> at
>> least.

I happen to receive the "GNSS Edition of Chronos Times" from
chronos.co.uk. While a "newsletter" (read advertisement) style email,
the like of which I'm sure we all get from various sources, the
following paragraph contained a sentence about the recent European LORAN
shutdown.

I won't quote the entire "newsletter", but the paragraph in question
reads:

---BEGIN QUOTE---
We wish you a happy and prosperous 2016 and welcome to the first GNSS
edition of the Chronos Times. Apart from a number of new exciting
products shown below, the best news we had just before Christmas was
that eLoran transmissions for timing and data services will be
maintained going forward. Whilst the rest of Europe has decided to close
down its old Loran-C transmitters, the UK has confirmed that eLoran
transmissions from Anthorn will continue. This is early days for this
new service
---END QUOTE---

So, that's some good news at least. How long for, as Paul says is to be
determined, but at least it's positive news

Best Regards

Iain