[time-nuts] Phase Noise Comparisons

Rob Sherwood. rob at nc0b.com
Sat Jan 16 23:10:03 EST 2016

Yes
Rob
NC0B

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On Behalf Of KA2WEU--- via time-nuts
Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2016 6:01 PM
To: time-nuts at febo.com
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Phase Noise Comparisons

Did my plot make it ?  Ulrich

In a message dated 1/16/2016 7:01:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, rob at nc0b.com writes:

I did  some interpolation to compare the specs for phase noise of the 8660 the way it  was done then to the present method. I think it is going to be something like  -105 dBc/Hz to -110 dBc/Hz at 10 kHz offset at 14 MHz carrier  frequency.

As a comparison, the 8662A is about -135 dBc/Hz and  the 8642A is better than -150 dBc/Hz.

Actual measurements on multiple  generators in my lab.  Unfortunately I have never used or measured an  8660.

3335A -128 dBc/Hz

3336C -120 dBc/Hz

3325A  -115 dBc/Hz (original version.  Later improved by 4 pr 5 dB after
the  3336C came out.)

As a comparison a Rigol DG4162 is -115 dBc/Hz  All at 10 kHz offset and on
the 20 meter band.

It depends what  you are trying to measure. Sensitivity or noise floor,
anything will work  within the range of specified output accuracy and leakage.
On the other  hand, if you are trying to measure the dynamic range of a
receiver, or its  phase noise characteristics, you cannot do that with most
generators.

Rob,  NC0B

To unsubscribe, go to
and follow the  instructions there.