[time-nuts] low noise multiplication to 100 MHz

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Sun Jan 24 15:58:43 EST 2016

With all the discussions in a small 100 MHz source I asked my project
partner Juerg in Switzerland to run some data on the ICS 570 that we use on the
majority of our projects with excellent results. Using the HP53132A we see
+ - 1  count at E10-11 ignore the large jumps those come from the Tbolt
frequency  change to correct the 1 pps. Depending on the application this is an
excellent  device.
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 1/23/2016 6:02:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dk4xp at arcor.de writes:

Am  22.01.2016 um 22:40 schrieb jimlux:
> the oscillator is a HCMOS output,  so figure swinging about 3.5V
> Output.. I'm feeding differential clock  inputs on ADCs.  I'll bet a
> +/- 300mV swing would  work.
>
>> 4)Title said "Low Noise"  needs better  definition as to what kind of
>> noise and how far down. Are we to  be  concerned about harmonic and spur
>> content as compared to  real random white noise?
>
> This is time-nuts.. it has to be  perfect..
>
> But realistically, my source is probably going to be  about -90dBc/Hz
> at 1 Hz, -125 at 10Hz, -145 at 100 Hz.  I'm  going up by a factor of
> 10, so I'd expect 20 dB worse plus a  little..(nothing is perfect, eh?)
>
> Call it maybe -100 to -95 at  10 Hz, -125 to -120 at 100 Hz and so forth.
>
> harmonics are  interesting: it's the sample clock into an ADC. So
> harmonics of the  100 aren't a big deal.  harmonics of the 10 or 20
> are.  If  you have significant 90 or 110 contaminating the 100, then
> you get  weird spurs..  (I had this problem on a software radio where
> the  50 MHz sample clock was contaminated with some 66 MHz from the  CPU)
>
> Spurs cause the same issues.
>
> ON the other  hand... spurs that are pretty low don't make much
> difference if  you're digitizing a signal that is close to the noise
> floor: the spur  multiplied by the desired signal is usually lower and
> down in the  noise.  Strong CW in band signals, though, are a real  pain.

<
https://picasaweb.google.com/103357048842463945642/Tronix#607927018804883377
8

I think that top left board would not be far away:

in :  10 MHz LVDS or CMOS
in:  3V3
out: 100 MHz CMOS 3V3

just a  few hours wall clock time from layout to working as a
ham radio weekender,  so please excuse my diy home board
production process.

Ok, the use  of a 4046 descendant may not be the last word
from a timenut perspective,  but I'll redo it with an osc of
my own anyway. Divider 100/10 is a LVC163  (161?) + lvc04.

<  http://www.crystek.com/crystal/spec-sheets/vcxo/CVHD-950.pdf  >

Digi-Key has 153 of them on a tape and  441 of a similar one  , even
cheaper that seems to point to the same data sheet.

<
http://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/CVHD-950-100.000/744-1213-ND/1644128

You can get the few dB missing close-in by transfer from your  reference.

In the picture:
The bottom row of boards is a doubler  100->200 MHz using 2*BF862, slight
gain,
and diode doubler 200 ->  400 MHz, SAW filter to get rid of
100/200/300/500/600 +/-10   etc,
post amp to get a usable level again.

Still missing   400-> 800, 800->1600 to feed  _my_ ADC clock input.

regards,  Gerhard