[time-nuts] The home time-lab

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Fri Jul 8 11:23:39 EDT 2016

David wrote:

> This is the only deal I see at the moment but I do
> not know how suitable it would be and it is more
> than I paid although about twice as powerful:
>
> http://www.upsforless.com/apcsurta1500xlref.aspx

I have a fleet of its bigger brothers, the 2000XL and 2200XL, and
recommend them highly.  The conversion engines are rated for continuous
duty, so you can add as many extra battery packs as you like to extend
the run time (most UPSs designed for home use -- even very expensive
ones -- do not have enough cooling to run continuously, so they depend
on the battery going dead to keep them from burning down).

That price is not bad, IMO, if they come with fresh, GOOD QUALITY
batteries. I strongly advise NOT using the generic black Chinese
batteries -- IME, they are worthless crap. If you live somewhere you can
get genuine Panasonic SLA batteries, use those [but BEWARE of fakes!!].
Here in the US, the PowerSonic SLAs are the best I've found.  I get mine
from "ecomelectronics" on ebay [no affiliation, just a satisfied customer].

I have had no RF interference issues, or any other problems other than
bad, generic black Chinese batteries.  The APC supplies are rugged and
well-protected -- one battery pack I hadn't rebuilt (full of the generic
black batteries) failed in a spectacular fashion (sparks and smoke and
melted plastic *from the batteries*).  The UPS itself suffered no damage.

Best regards,

Charles