[time-nuts] GPS disciplined Mars clock

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Sat Jul 9 12:33:35 EDT 2016

I’ve often wondered how much sense it makes to speak of the rotational period of a gaseous planet. The different layers of the atmosphere potentially can have different rotational periods, and we can’t observe the actually rocky (or diamond, if you believe Arthur C. Clark) body at the center.

I looked into writing firmware for the Crazy Clock for the other planets besides Mars. Mercury and Venus have extraordinarily long day lengths, so the math doesn’t work out, and the remaining planets are gaseous.