[time-nuts] Does doubling a frequency alter the original ADEV of the frequency?

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sat Jul 9 17:57:57 EDT 2016

James wrote:

> Is there a preferred frequency doubler circuit which would do the least harm to the ADEV of the oscillator?  The signal can be a square wave and does not need to be a sine wave.  Thanks.  Jim Robbins

A quadrature-fed DBM produces the lowest jitter and noise.  My
implementation can be found at:

<http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=download&file=02_GPS_Timing/4_App_Notes_and_Articles/Frequency_doubler_quadrature_DBM.pdf>

A well-designed push-push frequency doubler is probably second (but note
that many push-push designs you find on the web have various common
design flaws).  My implementation can be found at:

<http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=download&file=02_GPS_Timing/Frequency_doubler_push_push_JFET_schematic_description_discussion.pdf>

Best regards,

Charles