[time-nuts] Q/noise of Earth as an oscillator

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Jul 26 18:08:47 EDT 2016

Hoi Tom,

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 12:36:37 -0700
"Tom Van Baak" <tvb at LeapSecond.com> wrote:

> Among other things, the quality-factor, or Q is a measure of how slowly a
> free-running oscillator runs down. There are lots of examples of periodic or
> damped oscillatory motion that have Q -- RC or LC circuit, tuning fork,
> pendulum, vibrating quartz; yes, even a rotating planet in space.

I am not sure you can apply this definition of Q onto earth. Q is defined
for harmonic oscillators (or oscillators that can be approximated by an
harmonic oscillator) but the earth isn't oscillating, it's rotating.
While, for time keeping purposes, similar in nature, the physical
description of both are different.

			Attila Kinali

--
Malek's Law:
        Any simple idea will be worded in the most complicated way.