[time-nuts] Seiko watch "leap second enabled"

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jul 26 20:05:41 EDT 2016

mikes at flatsurface.com said:
> Why 6/1 and 12/1? Leap seconds can happen any month. June and December are
> only a preference.

Yes, but it's a very strong preference.  My reading is that they will use Jun
and Dec as long as they can keep within a second.

Are there any interesting estimates on when that will stop working?  How does
that compare to the lifetime of a watch or a software package?

Tom recently said the decay is 2 ms/day per century.  We are interested in 2
sec per year.  That's 5.5 ms/year.  So only 2 or 3 centuries.  I won't be
alive, but I'll bet some of our artifacts will still be around.  I wonder
what software will look like then.

> Sounds like the world's first fundamentally flawed "leap second enabled"
> watch.

Sounds like a good reason to put one in a museum.  I wonder if it will still
be working when the first bug happens.  Will GPS still be transmitting?  Will
the batteries it needs still be available?  (Maybe time to stash a few in the
freezer.)

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.