[time-nuts] phase noise in digital divider, 2nd harmonic

Graham / KE9H ke9h.graham at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 09:31:57 EDT 2016

It is not traditional phase noise, and not a normal Nyquist filtering
problem, but, yes, presence of significant second harmonic energy in your
DDS output will shift/dither your squaring input.

It is hard, with practical filters and filter components to get much better
coverage than one-half octave per low-pass filter.  It will be set by how
much second harmonic content you can tolerate. That is, how far down the
low-pass filter slope the second harmonic needs to be to get the
performance you want.

So using the one-half octave per filter "rule of thumb" then you might need
three or more low pass filters, depending on the actual frequency span
output you are dealing with.

--- Graham