[time-nuts] Q/noise of Earth as an oscillator

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Jul 29 12:28:56 EDT 2016

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 03:29:27 -0500
David <davidwhess at gmail.com> wrote:

> Capacitors and inductors have an associated Q while lacking a resonate
> frequency except for parasitic elements.  Their Q increases with
> frequency up to a point; does that apply to a spinning body?  I guess
> it depends on the loss mechanism.

The Q of an inductor (or capacitor) is defined at a specific frequency.
You can see it as the Q factor that would be achieved, if the inductor
(capacitor) would be paired up with an ideal capacitor (inductor) with
a value such, that it would result in the specified frequency.

Hence, if you increase the frequency, the Q factor increases for an inductor. Conversly, the Q factor of an capacitor decreases with increasing  frequency.

See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductor#Q_factor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor#Q_factor

			Attila Kinali