[time-nuts] How to get unknown frequency quartz crystals oscillating

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jun 4 08:05:28 EDT 2016

A vector voltmeter can be replaced by a spectrum analyser or even a 14 bit scope with or without a preamp. In lieu of phase information one can measure the 3dB bandwidth to elicit the Q, combined with measurement of the low frequency shunt capacitance and the attenuation at resonance, the crystal parameters can be extracted without knowledge of the phase shift.
Bruce