[time-nuts] How to get unknown frequency quartz crystals oscillating

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 09:04:23 EDT 2016

Bob -

  Crystal resistance of 100K probably applies to the large low frequency
crystals. Modern HF fundamental crystals tend to be around 50 ohms at their
fundamental and I think higher for overtone crystals. Older crystals in the
HF range in the FT-247 holders seem to usually be several hundred ohms.

  I've certainly swept crystals before to look for spurs, but I usually use
small sweep ranges like a few hundred Hz around where I know the spur to be
anyway. This is kinda like the drunk light only looking under the
streetlights for his keys because he knows he'll never find them if they're
anywhere else. Not to sound too pessimistic but when applying this to
crystals from the 50's it seemed like it was a lot easier to find the spurs
than the fundamental!

Tim N3QE