[time-nuts] does anybody have software for the DeLorme LT-20 Earthmate?

walter shawlee 2 walter2 at sphere.bc.ca
Mon Jun 6 18:28:06 EDT 2016

Michael,

thanks for the file!  it appears to be a dedicated early USB device driver, as
opposed to the delorme converter program.

I fought with all the on-line repositories and on the 3rd try, I got the blasted
delorme serial converter to install,  suddenly I see satellites!  yay, life is
good.  all day I have been fighting "unable to extract somefile.msi" messages
from the delorme serial converter app installers I could locate (broken, bad,
incompatible with xp or VMWare? who knows..) , suddenly it worked when I opened
file explorer (what the heck?)...  plus I fell back to an earlier rev. of the
converter.

so, although it is unquestionably hokey and rube golderberg-ish, I have the
Lt-20 running inside XP using usb-serial conversion, inside VMWare, on an Ubuntu
machine.  I feel like there is certainly a better way, but now at least I know
the pucks work, it IS possible to see the data (although no details on rates,
etc yet), and I have some other programs that can catch this stream to allow
navigation.

If I can figure out how to compile the gpsd source to run natively, no doubt
this will be much simpler,
but I am happy to see it run at all!

many thanks to everybody for their good info.

-walter

Walter Shawlee 2, President
Sphere Research Corporation
3394 Sunnyside Rd.,  West Kelowna,  BC
V1Z 2V4  CANADA  Phone: (250) 769-1834
walter2 at sphere.bc.ca
WS2: We're all in one boat, no matter how it looks to you.
Love is all you need. (John Lennon)
But, that doesn't mean other things don't come in handy. (WS2)