[time-nuts] GPS altitude somewhat wrong?

Van Horn, David david.vanhorn at backcountryaccess.com
Wed Jun 8 16:33:58 EDT 2016

I have just installed a Thunderbolt here to get our time and frequency equipment all on the same page.
As I was looking at the display on Lady Heather, I was noticing that the GPS altitude seems rather wrong.
We are in Boulder CO, which is nominally 5430' and the antenna is about 20' off the ground.
The display (near overdetermined position) reads 1589.72991 meters or 5216 and change in feet.
Altitude is a big deal around here. :)

I suppose 214' isn't that outrageous, but it does bring me to a question:

How accurate is the altitude number really?

Thanks.

--
David VanHorn
Lead Hardware Engineer