[time-nuts] DIY TimePod

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Mon Jun 13 23:17:41 EDT 2016

On Mon, June 13, 2016 9:38 pm, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> If the quantisation noise is random and spread uniformly over the Nyquist
> bandwidth (~40MHz??) then the noise floor is about -82dBc/Hz.

How do you spread the quantization noise randomly with a one bit
quantizer?  I'm mostly familiar with single bit quanitizers in the context
of audio range delta-sigma converters where the quantizer is in a feedback
loop to move most of the noise to a higher frequency range. That also
requires a clock much higher than the minimum nyquist requirement.

Maybe I need to see a block diagram of what is being described.  Where is
the clock for the ECL flip-flop generated?  I don't recall seeing a
description of what the effective sample rate will be, or the highest
clock signal accepted for analysis.

> With a high resolution RF ADC internal noise is usually sufficient
> (>= 1 lsb)) to ensure this.

Can't really dither to >= 1lsb when lsb=msb (single bit quantizer).

--
Chris Caudle