[time-nuts] Phase noise measurements on the cheap with an Agilent E4406A VSA Transmitter Tester?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 18 18:11:09 EDT 2016

On 6/18/16 12:05 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> The Symmetricom Time Pod is pretty much the lowest cost commercial / newl “low phase noise” measurement instrument. You can find all sorts
> of older stuff on auction sites in who knows what shape. The HP 3048 is the granddaddy of them all.

the time pod is about 8-9k (I just got a quote on one).

I don't think the 4406 is inherently very quiet, if they're making close
in measurements, they may have another quiet source to drive it from, or
they are beating the unit under test against a quiet reference, and just
using the 4406 to look at the IF.