[time-nuts] HF frequency counting receiver

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jun 20 15:52:24 EDT 2016

Hi

The cheaters way is to simply use a fully synthesized radio tied to a known
reference frequency. Feed the output into one channel of a sound card. Feed
the other channel of the sound card with a known frequency tone. Post process
it to death with your choice of FFT programs.

Another approach is to use a synthesized generator. Feed an appropriate level tone
into the antenna input of the radio through a combiner. Set it so that both it and
the FMT signal are inside your passband. Some care should be taken to see that
you do not radiate your test tone.

If you are going to rig up something special … just do a SDR of some sort. The post processing
is all the same once it gets to audio. The noise and fading are such that there is
essentially no way to directly read the frequency. That was true back when I was within
ground wave for the transmissions. It’s even more true if you don’t live next door to them
RF wise.

Bob